On October 23-24, Kyiv will host the major marathon of the country — 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021.
For 12 years in a row, WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON brings together thousands of amateur runners and professional athletes from all over Ukraine and the world. Kyiv Marathon is a special event for any runner since it is part of their personal history of their victories, and it is part of the history that we create together.
On the eve of the event, we held a press conference at NSC “Olimpiiskyi” in Kyiv and invited:
Dmytro Chernitskyi, СЕО Run Ukraine
Yuliia Khan, director of the Department for Youth and Sports of Kyiv City State Administration
Kostiantyn Vynnychenko, The Presidential Commissioner for Rehabilitation of Combatants
Kostiantyn Koshelenko, Deputy Chairman of the State Property Fund of Ukraine
Maryna Saienko, founder of the running club for children with disabilities “Hand by Hand”
This year, there will be about 8500 participants participating in the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021, including 300 foreigners (from the USA, Great Britain, France, Italy, Denmark, Latvia, and others). The anniversary 10th Wizz Air Kyiv City Marathon brought together about 17000 participants.
“I am happy to welcome you to the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON, which will be taking place for the 12th year in a row. This event has become a tradition for Kyiv, and it marks 12 years of our shared history. I remember the first marathon, the second marathon. I saw running movement developing in Ukraine. It is our shared achievement that running has turned into one of our traditions.
I am happy to see that Kyiv and Ukraine run, that there are many marathons and half marathons.
This year, the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON brought together 8200 participants, and in 2019 there were 17000.
We are slowly recovering from the quarantine year, and I believe that we will regain our positions in a couple of years, and even more people would choose a healthy lifestyle and start doing sports“, — said Dmytro Chernitskyi, CEORun Ukraine.
All those participating offline will be given a green or yellow wristband with specific marks. The green wristband will be given to those who have:
- green Diia certificate;
- yellow Diia certificate;
- original copy of vaccination certificate with a seal;
- original copy of a negative PCR test;
- certificate confirming recovery from coronavirus disease (in Diia app)
- certificate of vaccination with a vaccine recognized by WHO
Yellow wristbands will be given to those who don’t have any of the listed documents.
Participants with the green wristband will start in the “mass start” format, while those with the yellow ones will be starting separately every 3 seconds.
Top athletes and members of the national team of Ukraine will also participate in the event. Among them you will fing Artem Piddubnyi, Ivan Babaryka nd Oleksandr babaryka, Artem Kazban, Dmytro Pozhevilov, Ivan Ivanov, Anna Abdulova, and Tetiana Vilisova.
Among celebrities participating in the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021 — Serhii Marchenko, Minister of Finance of Ukraine, Tomash Fiala, CEO and founder of Dragon Capital, cyborg-runner Tetiana Vorotilina, singer Svitlana Safronova, TV presenters Slava Varda and Anatolii Anatolich.
The event will include races for adults of 42 km, 21 km, 10 km, 4.2 km, relay races, team races, Veteran’s Ten, dog run, Family Run of 1.6 km, and free children’s races.
“I would like to thank Run Ukraine and Yuliia Khan, the Department for Youth and Sports of Kyiv City State Administration director, for their support. They make it possible for the defenders of Ukraine to participate in the “Veteran’s Ten” race.
This year we will have guys who lost their eyesight, guys on prosthetic limbs. They start to walk, start to move, and this is their motivation. It is very crucial for the defenders of Ukraine to participate in such events. At the finish line, each one of them realizes that they are capable of achievement. And this becomes their first step“, — says Kostiantyn Vynnychenko, the Presidential Commissioner for Rehabilitation of Combatants.
All participants who successfully finish their courses will get memorable finisher medals with a unique design this year. Finishers of all courses within the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021 — from 4.2 km to 42 km — will depict the historical landmark of Kyiv – the Golden Gates.
The absolute winners on each course among men and women will receive monetary rewards. This year, the overall prize fund comes to 132 thousand hryvnias.
Prizes will be awarded to the winners in age groups, team races, and the relay.
This year, the faces of the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021 are three different people united by running. They are Yevheniia Prokofieva, Kostiantyn Koshelenko, and Maryna Saienko.
Three personalities with three different stories united by the love for running. Each of them has a unique goal, but they all follow the same route — the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021.
“WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON is a significant event for us. In 2019, at the Kyiv Marathon, Fedir, a child diagnosed with cerebral palsy, and I finished the half marathon, setting the record of Ukraine.
Thie year, we will also have an important mission. We will be setting the record of Ukraine on the marathon course. Two members of our club — Zhenia Mikhov and Oleksandr Mandrenko, a boy diagnosed with SMA (spinal muscular atrophy) – will run a marathon. In this, we again aim to bring this issue to the attention of our society.
And the kids celebrate this day because they overcome themselves and take a giant step forward“, — says Maryna Saienko, founder of the running club for children with disabilities “Hand by Hand.”
“My first 42 km course was back in 2015 within the good old Kyiv Marathon. Over these years, the running movement in Ukraine has developed a lot, and it is an excellent achievement of the Run Ukraine team.
There are many different races, but I believe that WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON is the actual major marathon race of the country. It is a festival of positive and athletic people, and it is open to anyone as there are courses for any level of training. I will run 42 km on Sunday, and on Saturday, we will participate as a family in the Family Run“, — says Kostiantyn Koshelenko, Deputy Chairman of the State Property Fund of Ukraine.
To provide safe conditions to the race participants, some of the streets in Kyiv will be closed for traffic.
Schedule of streets closed for traffic on October 23-24, 2021:
- Volodymyrskyi Passage str. – from 05:00 on October 23 till 22:00 on October 24
- Volodymyrska str. (from Velyka Zhytomyrska to Sofiiivska Street) – from 05:00 on October 23 till 22:00 on October 24
Schedule of streets closed for traffic on October 24, 2021:
- Ally Tarasovoi str. – from 05:00 till 22:00
- Mala Zhytomyrska str. – from 05:00 to 22:00
- Trokhsviatytelska str. – from 05:00 to 22:00
- Mykhailivska str. (from Mykhailivska Square to Mykhailivskyi Lane) – from 05:00 till 22:00
- Velyka Zhytomyrska str. (from Volodymyrska str. to Mykhailivska Square) – from 05:00 till 22:00
- Velyka Zhytomyrska str. (from Lvivska Square to Volodymyrska str.) – from 08:00 till 16:00
- Volodymyrska str. (from Sofiivska str. to Shevchenko Blvd.) – from 08:00 till 12:00
- Tarasa Shevchenka Blvd (from Khreschatyk str. to Volodymyrska str. ) – from 08:00 till 12:00
- Tarasa Shevchenka Blvd (from Volodymyrska str. to Peremohy Square) – from 08:00 till 10:30
- Bohdana Khmelnytskoho str. (from Khreschatyk str. to M. Lysenko str.) – from 08:00 till 12:00
- Peremohy Square – from 08:00 till 10:30
- Saksaganskoho str. (from Peremohy Square to Lva Tolstoho str.) – from 08:00 till 11:00
- Lva Tostoho str. (from Saksaganskoho str. to Zhylyanska str.) – from 08:00 till 11:00
- Zhylianska str. – from 08:00 till 11:00
- Velyka Vasylkivska str. (from Fizkultury str. to Bessarabska Square) – from 08:00 till 11:00
- Khreshchatyk str. – from 08:00 till 12:00
- Yevropeiska Square – from 08:00 till 12:00
- Muzeinyi Lane – from 08:00 till 12:00
- M. Hrushevskoho str. – from 08:00 till 12:00
- Petrivska Alley – from 08:00 till 12:30
- Parkova Road – from 08:00 till 12:30
- Dniprovskyi Descent (in the direction of the Paton Bridge) – from 08:30 till 13:00
- Heroiiv Krut Alley – from 08:30 till 12:30
- Lavrska str. – from 08:30 till 13:00
- Zapecherna str. – from 08:30 till 13:00
- Druzhby Narodiv blvd (from Paton Bridge to Staronavodnytska str.) – from 08:30 till 13:00
- Paton Bridge (in the direction of Druzhby Narodiv Blvd.) – from 08:30 till 13:00
- Sobornosti ave. – from 08:45 till 13:00
- Sverstiuka str. – from 08:45 till 13:00
- Rusanivskyi Canal – from 08:45 till 13:00
- Entuziastiv str. (from Rusanivsky Canal to Paton Bridge) – from 08:45 till 13:00
- Rusanivska Embankment (from Entuziastiv str. to Paton Bridge) – from 08:45 till 13:00
- Naberezhne Highway (in the direction of Paton Bridge) – from 08:45 till 13:30
- Naberezhno-Khreschatytska str. (from Nyzhnii Val str. to Poshtova Square) – from 08:45 till 15:30
- Trukhanivska str. – from 09:00 till 14:30
- Muromets Park – from 09:30 till 15:00
- Pivnizhnyi Bridge (in the direction of S. Bandery Avenue) – from 09:30 till 14:30
- Naberezhno-Rybalska str. (in the direction of the Paton Bridge) – from 09:30 till 15:30
- Havanskyi Bridge – 09:30 till 15:30
- Nyzhnii Val str. – from 08:00 till 15:30
- Hlybochytska str. – from 08:00 till 15:30
- Hlybochytskyi passage – from 08:00 till 15:30
- Viacheslava Chornovola str. – from 08:00 till 16:00
- Sichovykh Striltsiv str. – from 08:00 till 16:00
Registration available on the website: kyivmarathon.org
Just to remind you, the 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021 is the fourth stage of the Ukrainian Majors Running League 2021 from Run Ukraine.
This year, the Running League consists of five events:
- October 23-24 — 12th WIZZ AIR KYIV CITY MARATHON 2021
- November 14 — 6th INTERPIPE DNIPRO HALF MARATHON 2021
- June 13 — 6th TAVRIA V ODESA HALF MARATHON 2021 (already passed)
- June 27 — 6th MOLOKIYA LVIV HALF MARATHON 2021 (already passed)
- September 18-19 — 11th WORK.UA KYIV HALF MARATHON 2021 (already passed)
Organizer — Run Ukraine
Title partner — WIZZ AIR
WIZZ AIR is a Hungarian low-cost airline, the largest airline in the country.
Run Ukraine is the organizer of the largest running events in Ukraine. Since 2010, the company has held more than 30 international races for amateurs and sports enthusiasts.
Run Ukraine’s mission is to organize sports events of the highest level, inspire and motivate people to run.
Contacts for the media:
email: [email protected]
tel.: 067 995 2767
email: [email protected]